Q: What does Affordable Housing mean?
A: The affordable housing apartments offered by SAMO Apartments are priced below the market rate for this area and are for people who meet specific income requirements. Rent amounts and income limits are established annually by the City of Santa Monica Housing Division.
Q: How can I apply for an apartment at your community?
A: You can apply for our Interest List and you will be notified by SAMO Leasing Agent when a suitable unit becomes available.
However, please be advised that SAMO Apartments does not have a Master Interest List for all apartments managed by the company. Each SAMO Apartments location, SAMO on 6th & 7th Street and SAMO on Olympic Blvd, administers its own Interest List.
Please note that pursuant to AHPP, we are required to take applicants from the Waiting List administered by the City of Santa Monica. Applicants referred by the City of Santa Monica Housing Division have priority over our internal SaMo Apartments Interest List applicants. For more information about the Santa Monica AHPP Waiting List and to apply, please visit smgov.net/livelocal.
Q: What are the current rent and income limits for the Moderate Income apartments that you offer?
A: Most of our apartments are restricted to Moderate Income tenants, and the following rent and income limits apply:
||1 person: $73,100 per year
|1 Bedroom: $2,088
||2 persons: $83,600 per year
|2 Bedroom: $2,480
||3 persons: $94,000 per year
|3 Bedroom: $2,832
||4 persons: $104,400 per year, 5 persons: $112,800 per year
(rent and income limits provided are for general information purposes only and are subject to change)
Q: Will I/We receive government subsidy for rent under the AHPP Program?
A: No, you will not.
Q: Do you accept Section 8 Vouchers?
A: Yes, we do.
Q: Can I have a Co-signer?
A: Per our Tenant Selection Criteria, no Co-signers are allowed for the purpose of improving the Applicant’s credit report score. SAMO Apartments complies with all federal, state and local laws and regulations regarding fair housing for all applicants and residents.
Q: Are full-time students eligible for the affordable housing apartment?
A: Households where all adults are full-time students do not qualify for the affordable housing apartments, unless
1. All members of the household meet all of the following criteria:
2. And at least one member of the household meets one of the following criteria:
- Twenty-four years of age or older,
- Have lived separate from their parents for at least one year,
- Are not claimed as a dependent pursuant to IRS regulations on any tax return for the most recent tax year, and
- The head of household provides written certification of all outside financial assistance.
- A veteran or active duty member of the U.S. military,
- Have one or more legal dependents other than a spouse,
- Live with a recognized disability,
- Be a graduate or professional student,
- Be married, or have been an orphan or ward of the court through age 18.
Q: What is your pet policy?
A: Cats are acceptable with additional deposit; max 2 cats per unit; no pet rent. No dogs.
Assistive animals for persons with disabilities are not considered to be pets, but do require advance written approval of management.
Q: Do you accept emotional support animals?
A: We accept ESA animals with verification of disability and the need for the accommodation.